[Talk-us-maine] [OpenStreetMap] Re: Strava imagery in JOSM

Michael Luethi miluethi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 03:18:41 UTC 2020

Hello Group,

I heard from Alan that you might be interested in importing building
footprints into Maine. I love the idea of adding useful content to OSM and
building footprints are a very useful feature. Before I go into detail, let
me just present the overall idea:

Microsoft published several sets of building footprints free to use in OSM
and several OSM groups are already working on imports:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microsoft_Building_Footprint_Data.
Additionally to import just building footprints, I suggest adding address
data to the building structure (addr:street=*; addr:housenumber=*;
addr:postcode=*;addr:city=*). In Maine, you already imported a lot of
address-tags, which are probably from MEGIS (Maine Office of GIS) and are
free to use in OSM. If these address points are inside of a building shape,
it's pretty easy to add the address point data to the building shape in
QGIS. In this case buildings come with address data.

MEGIS has more point data available, like fire stations, police stations,
schools, hospitals, etc (--> https://www.maine.gov/megis/catalog). It is
possible to add this data to the building shape. For example a hospital
building with tags: building=hospital, amenity=hospital, name=Northern
Light Mercy Hospital, addr:city=Portland, ...

How to import data?
There are different ways of importing data and it has to be documented. But
a very basic method is to copy the data in JOSM from one layer into the
upload layer. Then check against existing data and use of the OSM validator
and finally upload it.

What are the problems of importing the data?
- OSM has import guidelines, which are described here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import.
- all imports have to be checked carefully against existing data (which has
priority)
- many address points are outside of the building shape - mostly in very
rural areas. It's possible to add address points in proximity to the
building, but the data is not as reliable. In ME a lot of manual checks
for address tags have to be done.

What do you think about this project?
I personally would love to contribute to such a building import. What are
your ideas?
I apologize not to respond to Alex's comments, but I'm afraid this email is
already very long...

Michael

PS: Here is a sample dataset with MS building shapes. Some shape have and
some don't have MEGIS address data:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17Z-9vcePTIDvVMtndOu7Qc15j-Di4UCj?usp=sharing