[Talk-us-newyork] Draft proposal for import of New York State GIS SAM Address Points

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Sat Jan 9 05:55:04 UTC 2021

Hello,

A while back, I posted a thread expressing interest in importing the New York State GIS SAM Address Points:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us-newyork/2020-July/000058.html

I've made some good progress, and I think it's at the point now where it's ready for others to look at. I've made a draft proposal on my user wiki page here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Dead10ck/NYS_GIS_SAM_Address_Points_Import

I thought I'd share this before moving it to a subpage of New York, and adding it to the catalogue wiki page, as I'm not sure it has all the information that is expected of these pages.

In particular, one thing I could use some more clarity on is: what do people usually use to split up and track work for imports? I saw the HOT Tasking Manager, but it seems like not just anyone can make projects on this tool. Am I supposed to just ask someone to make a project for me, or give me permission to make one myself, or is there another tool people use?

A sample of the data from this converter program can be downloaded here:

https://skyler-public.s3.amazonaws.com/osm/nys_gis_address_points_import_sample_east_north_greenbush.zip

The zip consists of an .osc file of the changes it generated, and an .osm dump of the relevant data as it was when I generated the .osc file. It contains many new address points, and a few examples of addresses conflated into buildings. It also has a few examples of the kinds of issues it will detect and flag for review, such as existing conflicting addresses, duplicates in the source data, multipolygons, etc.

I would really appreciate feedback on any part of this, from the approach of the conversion to the details of the plan, to the data itself. I may not respond very quickly, but I will when I can!

Thank you
Skyler