[Talk-us-nps] National Park Service Import Feedback

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:10:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

The NPS state of the map talk from this weekend was very interesting!
I hope you are successful moving over NPS tiles to OSM.

It reminded me of your import email from several weeks ago, I wanted
to give you some feedback on your actual imported data!

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.65589&lon=-83.58185&zoom=16&layers=M

- If you have multiple amenities on a single building, separate them
with semicolons. Not sure if that will give mapbox issues, but it is
the "right" thing to do as far as OSM data. I don't think it should be
on the building node, unless you are tagging an exit/entrance of the
building.

- All of the buildings in this area were double imported. Be sure to
run the JOSM validator over your changes before uploading.

- There is an outdoor theater on the north west of the bounding box.
It is tagged as 4 buildings. I would make an area that encompasses all
of the buildings, and but the amenity and name tag on that, rather
than tagging each roof section of the theater. Perhaps, change the
building=yes, to building=roof.

- There is a "Elkmont-Elkmont #2 Cemetery Access Road" road. It has
some tiger tags, but it looks like you adjusted the geometry of the
road to match your NPS data. This is fine, but its not really tiger
data now. I would suggest taking the three tiger tags out.

- The nps:verified tag. I don't really understand what this means.
Perhaps a combination of a source= tag, and and access tag might allow
you to restrict what is shown on the official online nps maps to areas
that you want the public to stay on. We have a *lot* of established
tags already, I think we should be able to express your intention with
nps:verified with our existing tags. Also, more importantly, what does
that mean to people that are mapping inside of the parks that are not
employees of the NPS. Lets says I fix the small problems I just
pointed out. Do I delete nps:verified because somebody outside of nps
touched the data? I am sure the imported nps is not perfect. What are
mappers supposed to do if they find a missing trail, or road, etc as
far as the nps:verified tag? I assume you do want these improvements
from the community in your tiles.

- Way 2316586510, should probably be a service road.

Thanks
Jason.