[Talk-us-nps] OSM Park Projects Idea

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Jun 16 23:42:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Thomas Colson <thomas_colson at nps.gov>wrote:

> In the past, I have brought volunteers to the park and provided them
> housing
> (government, it's what you'd expect) in return for up to a few weeks of GPS
> labor. We provide the equipment and the vehicle.
>
> At this time, I'm not offering such a deal (I can only do those in the off
> season).

Is this a local policy or is it park by park?  Not sure what the turnout
would be for a mapping party if everyone paid their own way. Of course some
parks are fee to visit. For example Redwood National Park. Of course I
believe all charge for campsites. Some parks are close to large cities. In
my case, Rainier is close enough, although not free, to Seattle that we
could run a mapping party and return the same day. Car pooling would help
defray some of the expense.

> In-park volunteer opportunities are subject to the amount of paperwork
> you'd
> expect from a gov't agency, but a great way to get involved with a park,
> and
> park-mapping, and I have one GPS volunteer who hit 5000 hours (with a
> Trimble ProXR on his back, 4 batteries, and 70 yrs old) and got to meet the
> president. Parks could not stay open without our volunteers!

I'm fortunate enough to have purchased, and I think this is the technical
term, the Geezer Pass.  Even though I'm not 70 (yet) I don't believe I'd
want to carry a Trimble ProXR on my back. That thing is huge.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch