[Talk-us-nps] Best way to tag a campground/site?

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Mon Sep 23 19:57:40 UTC 2013

Tom,

         Good question and one that often
troubles me, because I map a lot of national parks.
         Many campgrounds in national parks
accommodate everything from tent campers to big
Winnebagos but don't have hook-ups. A few
locations, such as the Grand Canyon, do have a
subsection with hook-ups, but most do not.
Because these locations allow even very large
campers to park, even if they don't have
hook-ups, I tag them "caravan sites." Maybe all
we need is an option that adds "hook-ups" or "no hook-ups."
         Group sites are increasingly popular,
and it would be good to have an option to tag them.
         I don't use tent camping much, mostly in
campgrounds along hiking trails, where there
would be no question of vehicles being present.
         I'm not particularly fond of "caravan,"
because that's a Briticism, used in the UK. How
many Americans know what "caravan" means in this context?

Charlotte

At 04:56 PM 9/22/2013, you wrote:

>It has been brought to my attention that our
>method of tagging campgrounds runs afoul of OSM best practices:
>
><http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17949565>http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17949565
>
>Which begs the question: what is the best way to
>tag a campground that serves multiple groups?
>
>Most NPS Front Country campgrounds, and Forest
>Service as well, provide for “car-camping” as
>well as RV Sites. Some also include group sites
>(10 or more people not in an RV).
>
>We have been tagging them as such:
>
><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourism?uselang=en>tourism
>= camp_site;caravan_site
>
>Options include
>
><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourism?uselang=en>tourism = camp_site
>comments = also_caravan_site
>
>but this will result in a very vocal and
>vigorous response from the RV crowd as to why we’re not using:
>
><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourism?uselang=en>tourism
>= caravan_site
>comments = also_camp_site
>
>Another option is to use two nodes, very near
>each other, one for each camping “activity”.
>Most campgrounds are divided into tent sites and
>RV sites, but in MHO this is not the best way to tag these
.?

>If the intended end result is for  consumers of
>OSM data to be able to “locate” a campground
>that best serves their needs (I’m sleeping in
>the backseat of my car or a RV or in a horse
>trailer), what is the best scenario here, when
>applied to 350+ NPS parks  (We want a consistent tagging)?
>
>Just to complicate this, some Front Country
>campgrounds can also accommodate horses, as well.
>
><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semicolon#When_NOT_to_use_a_semi-colon_value_separator>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semicolon#When_NOT_to_use_a_semi-colon_value_separator
>suggest that most consumers of OSM data can’t
>parse the semi-colon, which I have a hard time
>believing: any decent renderer using OSM data can use “like” statements.

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403