[Talk-us] braided streets

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Mon Apr 7 18:37:57 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:19 +0300, SteveC wrote:
> so I see that braided streets are 'officially' a problem
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/TIGER_fixup
>
> anyone have a good way of fixing them? I'm happy to have a go in SF.

How do these things actually look?

If we have a good way of detecting them, and a target way we want them
to look, I'd be happy to get them fixed in the JOSM validator.

I already have my own private copy that "just works" in stitching the
streets together at the edge of counties, and unsharing some nodes that
shouldn't be shared.  I detect the node unsharing by looking for places
where "motorway" touches non-motorways.

I also managed to detect all the places where the TIGER "motorway_link"
ways touch non-motorways and auto-fix them.

My copy of JOSM:

http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~daveh/josm/

I'm also working on splitting up those large patches into more
manageable chunks.