[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] virtual san francisco mapping party?

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:08:58 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:03 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>
wrote:
<snip>

> I have a few specific questions/observations based on the work I have done
> so far.
>

> 1) The rail network data in the area seems very fragmentary. It may be
> valuable for someone with good local knowledge to concentrate on that bit.

Welcome to public transit in the Bay Area. The real system is very
fragmentary with poor coverage...

> 2) I have cleaned up and completed the BART network. I have tagged it
> 'subway' which may not be ideal, possibly 'metro' would be better. I am
> also
> not clear if it shares track with Union Pacific through Oakland down to
> Hayward. Also, if I say the subway is in a tunnel it is not rendered at
> all
> in Osmarender. Currently it is tagged with layer=-1 without a tunnel tag
> for
> the underground bits. Feel free to improve what I have done.

I agree, "metro" or equivalent would be better. It's really only a subway in
downtown Oakland and SF, and obviously in the trans-bay tube. I'm nearly
100% positive that it doesn't share track with UP. I think it has its own
gauge and everything.

<snip>

> 4) Nearly all the tiger roads are tagged as 'residential' by default. It
> would be very useful to have a mapping of terminology between US names
> 'interstate' etc, and the OSM ones. I assume 'motorway' = 'interstate'.
> How
> should 'trunk' be interpreted for the USA? What about Primary, secondary
> etc?. I suggest that you folk update the map features with your
> recommendations and ensure consistency across the USA.

There has been a bit of discussion about this, but there doesn't seem to be
any agreement and the Wiki is a mess with regards to this, with conflicting
information on various pages. Part of the problem comes from us poor US
residents trying to map our road system to the UK/European standard where
many of us have not spent a lot of time (or in my case, I didn't pay
attention to the road classifications). I would say in general,
interstate=motorway, US highway=trunk or primary (or maybe motorway in
certain cases), state highway=primary or secondary, county highway=secondary
or tertiary, road through commercial district=unclassified, and
residential=residential :-)

Karl