[Talk-us] Bicycle facility tags (Class III "bike route")

mike.onines at juno.com mike.onines at juno.com
Wed Aug 13 00:11:13 BST 2008

How do we mark and tag Class II and Class III bike facilities? (I'm not sure if Class I, II, and III is a California specific designation, or if this is the standard terminology throughout the US)

Class I is the separated bike path, with a physical separation between the bicycle path and vehicle traffic, or on a route which other vehicle traffic doesn't follwo.  This one is easy, you trace in the path, and make it highway=cycleway; cycleway=track.  It's just the same as drawing in separate roads for divided roads.

Class II is the bike lane with its own lane markings, but it is immediately adjacent the vehicle lanes.  This also seems to be pretty clear: just add a cycleway=lane tag to the road it is part of, right?

Class III is a "shared use" facility with the cars, it just has the green "bicycle route" signs occasionally.  Hopefully it has a wide outside lane, but not always.  How do you put this one in?  do you add a bicycle=designated tag to the road, or what?

Thanks for the input,

-Mike