[Talk-us] Bicycle facility tags (Class III "bike route")

will law williumbillium at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 01:08:27 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:11 PM, mike.onines at juno.com <
> mike.onines at juno.com> wrote:
>>
>> Class I is the separated bike path, with a physical separation between the
>> bicycle path and vehicle traffic, or on a route which other vehicle traffic
>> doesn't follwo.  This one is easy, you trace in the path, and make it
>> highway=cycleway; cycleway=track.  It's just the same as drawing in separate
>> roads for divided roads.
>>
>> Class II is the bike lane with its own lane markings, but it is
>> immediately adjacent the vehicle lanes.  This also seems to be pretty clear:
>> just add a cycleway=lane tag to the road it is part of, right?
>>
>> Class III is a "shared use" facility with the cars, it just has the green
>> "bicycle route" signs occasionally.  Hopefully it has a wide outside lane,
>> but not always.  How do you put this one in?  do you add a
>> bicycle=designated tag to the road, or what?

I have been classifying Class I & II cycleways in San Francisco using the
above method.  I haven't got on to the Class III type but bicycle=designated
seems appropriate to me.

I think your suggestions line up with how I would tag it, too. I'm curious
> where you heard about the Class I, II, III designations, though. I'm a
> California native and occasional bike rider and I've never heard of these.
>
> Karl

Here's the detail on their classification in California.  I'm not sure if
the same is used elsewhere in the US though:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=shc&group=00001-01000&file=890-894.2

Will