[Talk-us] Excess TIGER nodes in a way

Joseph Scanlan n7xsd at arrl.net
Thu Aug 21 18:10:52 BST 2008

There's a question at the end but I'll start with a little background.

Last weekend I took a drive that included US 93 in Arizona.

Naturally, I wanted to compare my GPS trace, the Yahoo images, and my
memory to the OSM data.  Much of this piece of US 93 is divided highway
(is this also called a double carriage way?) but the TIGER data in OSM
shows a single primary way.  I moved the existing way to the northbound
side of the highway and drew a fresh southbound way.  They are both
tagged "highway=primary", "oneway=yes", "ref=US 93", and "name=United
States Highway 93".  The TIGER tags remain on the northbound side but
are not duplicated southbound.  So far I'm happy with this.

Parts of this highway are quit straight:

 	http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=35.396938&mlon=-114.259680&zoom=14

The northbound way has (mostly) all the nodes from the TIGER data.
Southbound only has as many as I needed to connect to other ways, copy
the shape of the northbound way, and a few more where a northbound node
might have marked something in the image but there wasn't a way in the
data.  This part bothers me.

Now the question.  Should I 1) delete the (what I believe are) extra
TIGER nodes from the northbound way, 2) add a bunch of nodes to the
southbound way to make it match northbound, or 3) call it done and learn
to be happy?

Joseph Scanlan                               http://www.qsl.net/n7xsd
+1-702-455-3679                               http://n7xsd.dyndns.org
jps at co.clark.nv.us (work)                   (not work) n7xsd at arrl.net

So he went inside there to take on what he found.
But he never escaped them, for who can escape what he desires?
                                               --Tony Banks of Genesis
                                                    in "The Lady Lies"