[Talk-us] Road classification

William Gresham closed810 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 01:56:12 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm a member in New Jersey and I've usually reserved any classifications for roads that have any numerical designation assigned to them. In New Jersey, I designate trunk roads sparingly, and hardly ever for roads maintained by the county (with some exceptions for longer 500-series county highways); these are usually isolated roads or roads with more than one carriageway but do not fit the state definition of a freeway. (The Palisades Interstate Parkway, any toll roads, and roads that are recognised by the state as freeways - e.g. NJ 495 (this has NOT been an interstate since the 1980's; only the portion of 495 east of Manhattan is an interstate), NJ 42, NJ 55, NJ 90, NJ 3, NJ 19, NJ 21, and NJ 24 - are granted motorway status.) Primary highways usually consist of state highways that run parallel to a trunk road or connect one or more large communities, most 500-series county highways, and a few county-specific highways (which usually are in the 600-700 range). Secondary roads are almost always either county-specific highways or state routes that are left over from a re-routing of a major highway; tertiary designations are reserved for all other numbered highways. Unnumbered highways, unless the governing municipality receives monies from the county directly for their maintenance or they form a dedicated or well-used link between designated roads, receive unclassified or residential designations irrespective of length.

This scheme was devised primarily for New Jersey and may not apply the same way in other states.

CrystalWalrein