[Talk-us] Interstate name tag

Victor Snesarev victor.snesarev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 11:41:30 BST 2008

Hi all,

Just want to get people's opinion on naming Intestate Highways in the US... The
Wiki says<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/United_States_roads_tagging>to
set "name" as "Interstate Highway ###". In practice I mostly see
"I-###".
Since interstates are divided into two oneway ways, I think each way should
be named "I-### Direction", where "Direction" is "East", "West", "North",
"South". So, one way of the interstate would be "I-40 East" and the other is
"I-40 West". Both ways would have "ref=I 40".

I know some editors already use this scheme. I got the idea from a link
provided by Alex Mauer.

Thoughts?

Victor