[Talk-us] Interstate name tag

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jul 15 16:16:00 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 21:23 -0700, Alex S. wrote:
> Victor Snesarev wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just want to get people's opinion on naming Intestate Highways in the
> > US...

I've been doing this:

On the highway way:
name=Interstate 90
ref=I-90 or ref=I 90
highway=motorway

On the on-ramps:
name=Highway Interstate 90 Westbound
highway=motorway_link

On the off-ramps:
name=to {connecting street name}
highway=motorway_link

I'm hoping that routers will be able to use name as a sensible routing
instruction.

"Exit right to Highway Interstate 90 Westbound"
"Continue on Interstate 90 for xx miles / kilometers"

Adding Eastbound / Westbound on the two ways may clutter rendering at
some zoom levels.  When do we want to see both "I-90E" and "I-90W"
highway shields and when do we want to see just "I-90"?  Using a
relation to join the two ways may help with this.