[Talk-us] "highway" tags in the US

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Mar 4 01:36:31 GMT 2008

Dave Hansen wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I know one when I see one these days.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features
>> A restricted access major divided highway, normally with 2 or more
>> running lanes plus emergency hard shoulder. Equivalent to the Freeway,
>> Autobahn etc..
>
> Bingo.  It's truly restricted access.  No access except from onramps.
> It's divided.  It also has emergency shoulders.  Is is effectively an
> interstate.

There are many roads that fit those definitions, but have, for example,
too-sharp curves, too-low bridges, perhaps too-narrow shoulders, etc. to
meet the legal definition of an interstate.

Of course, it's very possible that they've simply not been designated as
Interstate, but my point is that it's not easy to tell at a glance.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"