[Talk-us] Counties Data Import

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:41:26 BST 2008

Hi everyone,

While I was trying to figure out how to divide the massive NHD dataset into
more management pieces, I found a county boundary dataset and converted it
to OSM.

I uploaded Wisconsin and Minnesota county boundaries and submit them for
your review. One minor issue:

http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/?x=1036&y=1489&z=12&layer=tile
... shows that each county is a separate, closed way in OSM. This means that
at most boundaries, the dashed lines that are used to render political
boundaries are overlapping and look odd. I can't see a way around this
without losing metadata.

If you have any opinion on how this data is represented, please let me know.
Otherwise, I will upload the rest of the country later on this weekend.