[Talk-us] Counties Data Import

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Fri May 9 18:05:08 BST 2008

Ian,

  You might want to consider breaking it up into more "natural"
sections based on the sub-basin ID. This would keep contiguous
drainage basins intact and would not require any additional clipping
since the subbasin id is included in the attributes of the NHD lines.
Water does not respect political boundaries and I don't see any real
reason to process the data as if it did.

- matt

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> While I was trying to figure out how to divide the massive NHD dataset into
> more management pieces, I found a county boundary dataset and converted it
> to OSM.
>
> I uploaded Wisconsin and Minnesota county boundaries and submit them for
> your review. One minor issue:
>
> http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/?x=1036&y=1489&z=12&layer=tile
> ... shows that each county is a separate, closed way in OSM. This means that
> at most boundaries, the dashed lines that are used to render political
> boundaries are overlapping and look odd. I can't see a way around this
> without losing metadata.
>
> If you have any opinion on how this data is represented, please let me know.
> Otherwise, I will upload the rest of the country later on this weekend.

Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net