[Talk-us] Counties Data Import

Ted Mielczarek ted.mielczarek at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:14:50 BST 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> While I was trying to figure out how to divide the massive NHD dataset into
> more management pieces, I found a county boundary dataset and converted it
> to OSM.
>
> I uploaded Wisconsin and Minnesota county boundaries and submit them for
> your review. One minor issue:
>
> http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/?x=1036&y=1489&z=12&layer=tile
> ... shows that each county is a separate, closed way in OSM. This means that
> at most boundaries, the dashed lines that are used to render political
> boundaries are overlapping and look odd. I can't see a way around this
> without losing metadata.
>
> If you have any opinion on how this data is represented, please let me know.
> Otherwise, I will upload the rest of the country later on this weekend.

I looked at this data when I uploaded the state borders a while ago.
The state borders I (and Adam) split by hand into non-overlapping
sections, tagging them with left:state and right:state appropriately.
I figured it would be too much work to do the county borders manually
like that, but I didn't feel like trying to write a program to do it
in an automated fashion either. I'm not really excited for having lots
of overlapping borders like that, but I guess I can manually clean up
the ones in my area if I care enough.

-Ted