[Talk-us] Counties Data Import

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue May 13 01:24:30 BST 2008

Ian Dees wrote:
> I uploaded the data with the lines overlapping. I figured by combining
> the ways into one with left and right tags, we are making it quite a bit
> harder to query the database to determine which county any particular
> point is in. Also, there would be a significant amount of work to write
> the import app to do that, and I didn't think it was worth it to add
> time on both ends of the workflow.

It's also worth noting that most counties are relatively simple and
small, while uploading state borders as a single way would make for
prohibitively large ways (both in terms of node count and length)

I for one prefer it the way it was done.

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.