[Talk-us] Naming freeway exits and onramps?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun May 18 18:09:57 BST 2008

I think the best way to tag a junction is to combine all the elements into a
'junction' relation and then this relation can be given an identifying
reference and name. Note that the current proposal does cater sensibly with
a junction that has two different references for different roads that join
at the junction (see discussion page). A relation makes it possible for
rendering engines to just display a single point for the junction when
zoomed out.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Junctions

Fyi, the dual-carriageway relation can be used to relate opposite
carriageways of the same road. This relation may be useful for renderers
that need t draw a single line when zoomed out.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Dual_carriageways

General information about relations is available here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations

Regards,

Peter

  _____