[Talk-us] Railway spur

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Nov 7 19:16:48 GMT 2008

Ian Dees wrote:
> In my experience, TIGER ways that show up as railway are almost always not
> actually there (the right of way has been purchased by or leased to another
> entity and developed), so be extra careful when retagging TIGER railway.

Yep, that's common too, though I'm sure it varies a lot depending on the
area of the country and such.  I wouldn't trust anything other than
"on-the-ground" mapping for that, either -- rail lines are hard to see
from the aerial photos.

Once it's mapped of course, it becomes easier to determine what service
tag a rail line will need.

Of course, it doesn't help that most (all?) rail lines are posted no
trespassing...

-Alex Mauer "hawke"