[Talk-us] Track or path?

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Nov 10 20:41:28 GMT 2008

David Carmean writes:
 > For the moment I'm ignoring the portions of the "trail" that are
 > overlayed on public roads with car traffic.

Track.  access=private if it's gated.  A path is something where a
vehicle might be *able* to ride on, but is not intended for such.
E.g. most improved rail-trails are not improved to the point where
cars can travel on them.

But your "ignoring" part brings up a question for me about
rail-trails.  I have a database of NYS railroad rights of way.  Quite
often the rail-trail is exactly that: a trail on the railroad.  But a
few short sections are inaccessible and follow the highway.  CLEARLY
there is value in having the route of the trail in the database.

Should the trail have its own way which shares the bulk of its nodes
and path with the railroad way?  Or should the railroad and highway
portions of the trail be marked with ... something?  And how to carry
the name of the trail the entire length even though it travels on the
railroad, highway, and a purpose-built section?

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Delegislation is a slippery
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | slope to prosperity.