[Talk-us] Rendering of State Boundaries

Scott Atwood scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 18:54:29 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Adam Schreiber <sadam at clemson.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Scott Atwood
> <scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have noticed that for the U.S. map, state boundaries only appear at a
> zoom
> > level 9 or higher,  and at zoom levels 9 and 10 they render exactly the
> same
> > as county boundaries.   Then county boundaries disappear at zoom level 12
> > and beyond.
> > Personally, for the United States, I think state boundaries should be
> > rendered much more prominently, starting at least at zoom level 5, and
> > always more prominently than county borders.   Of course, I also think
> > country borders should be rendered more prominently as well...
>
> I agree in some sense, but wanted to inform how the state boundries
> are tagged (because I did it).
>
> In addition to border_type=state, they are tagged with the admin
> levels found here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:border_type#border_type
>
> I believe it's the admin levels that the renderers are working from
> (have not checked osmarender or mapnik rules).  Thus while certainly
> states are very prominate parts to Americans, they won't be rendered
> with any more prominence than the equivalent (but to us less
> prominent) divisions in other countries.

I figured it was something like this.  It certainly feels appropriate to tag
US states more or less the same as other first-order administrative
sub-units of sovereign nations.

Do any of the renderer support the notion of rendering the same tag
differently in different regions of the world?  Or would it be necessary to
add some other tag to US state boundaries in order to allow the renderers to
render them more prominently?

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.  ~H.G. Wells