[Talk-us] Tagging and Rendering Cycle Ways

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Thu Nov 27 17:15:01 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 05:27:44PM -0800, Scott Atwood wrote:

> Multi-Use Paths (a.k.a. Class I).  This one is also pretty easy.  I tag
> these as {highway=cycleway, cycleway=track, foot=yes}.  However, one wrinkle
> is that these MUPs sometimes have have sections with an on-street alignment.
>  In that case, I added a relation to the entire MUP, both the off-street
> trail portions, and the on-street alignments, that was tagged like
> {route=bicycle, type=route, name=_name_of_the_MUP_}.  I intentionally left
> off the network tag from the relation, since this isn't part of a formal
> route network per se, but if anything, it would be {network=lcn}

How did you decide upon this scheme?  I've been working on sections of the
SF Bay Trail, some of which even allow horses.  I've been tagging these
primarily as {highway=path|track, foot=yes, bicycle=yes, horse=yes|no,
surface=paved|gravel|dirt}.  The choice of "path" or "track" has been a little
imprecise.