[Talk-us] Specifications (was: Bay Area trailer parks: "hamlet" ? Also neighborhoods & cities)

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 07:51:54 GMT 2008

>Using the hamlet value seems like a forced fit. Why not just use place=neighborhood then? So >what if it's not "approved"? Use it widely, then request for it to be rendered. Problem solved.

If I were to create a new model for something, I'd create a new category for "apartment complexes and trailer parks" sooner than a new category distinguishing neighborhoods from hamlets.   (I would also tend to represent apartment complexes and trailer parks as polygons, rather than points -> landuse=residential + name="whatever").  What OSM is calling hamlets was probably something like "named place" in TIGER - very generic.  If you increase the number of ways you categorize named places, you should expect the categories to be clear enough that people will apply them properly, and regularly.  I think the biggest distinction between hamlet and neighborhoods is that a hamlet would be rural and unincorporated and often lacking strict boundaries, and a neighborhood would be a named section within a city - and unincorporated and often lacking strict boundaries.  The consequences of lumping them together are not terrible, because you would tend to use
 the data similarly (use the same font, appear at the same zoom levels).

I'm not against a neighborhood category, just saying hamlet could serve the purpose.  The basic problem is making trailer park names less prominent.

-Alan