[Talk-us] Tiger 2007 data

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 00:37:46 BST 2008

"Again, let's calm down a little bit.  Were you around for the last
import?  Did you see how I handled data conflicts in that one?  Was
there a problem there that needs fixing this time around?"

Yes I think there were problems.  There have been some diary entries
bemoaning the fact that their edits had been blown away by the Tiger data
upload.

>From my own experience I noticed some problems as well.  My travels took me
through my second most favourite place on earth - Death Valley.  When I went
to edit in the tracks I noticed that on Badwater road there were two roads
(and still are).

One edited in by 80n and another uploaded Tiger one and both intertwined.
Since then another mapper has made some improvements to the Tiger one
although he has not yet removed the reviewed tag. I've also been slack in
this respect but am in the process of fixing this.

More serious is the situation of Golden Canyon Road.  I walked up this
washway a small way (as you can see from my gps tracks) but didn't want to
repeat the fatal decision of a German Tourist so I quickly went back to the
car. This was in mid summer.

Google Earth readily shows the correct nature of the car park area  and
washway status.

80n has this tagged correctly as "footway" but Tiger declares it highway,
residential, a most incorrect tagging, and dangerous as well.
Needless to say these two ways are intertwined as well.  I haven't looked up
the edit dates but I'll take a bet that 80n didn't edit in this footway and
not realise that there was an incorrect residential way already mapped. I
had already fixed up the other end of this track (at Zabriski Point) but had
put the whole area in the too hard basket and decided that when I finally
get my tracks all edited in, I would attempt to fix up Death Valley.

I had also noticed problems in San Francisco, where there were two Lombard
Streets on top of each other, one with the squiggly bit straight.
Fortunately someone has corrected this.
On a side note, I believe that the correct thing to do is to just delete the
"Tiger reviewed" tag rather than turn it to "yes".
Is this correct?

I'm firmly convinced that automatic uploads should only go into areas where
there are NO user edited nodes or ways. Other updates need to be done
manully to avoid data corruption.

Cheers
Nick