[Talk-us] Tiger Data 2007

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 22:46:15 GMT 2008

There's another consideration ... what if a TIGER import is done somewhat carefully, but not quite carefully enough?  So 90% of the areas are made better, and 10% are made worse ?

If those 10% are located where someone has poured their heart into making a carefully constructed map - you could disillusion some of your most active contributors.  Many would think:  "if a bunch of invalid TIGER roads that need to be deleted reappear in my hometown - why should I be forced to clean it up?  I made it right the first time!"  People enter data into OSM for the sense of accomplishment.  If an import improves the quality of the overall dataset in the short term - but demotivates others to contribute, because their work had been stomped on - in the long term, you may hurt data quality.

I'm not saying don't import new TIGER data - I'm saying, be utterly paranoid when you do.  I don't know how well the first import went - it seems it was necessary for building a base line - but you don't want to de-motivate people who contribute.

-Alan