[Talk-us] Tiger Data 2007

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 00:00:53 GMT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:29 -0700, Alan Brown wrote:
> >
> > When that data is imported - how will you know that a missing road was
> > intentionally deleted from OSM, or simply missing from the dataset?
> > If they reappear, it would be rather irritating to me.  It's not
> > "overruling" me, in the sense that the old geometry no longer exists
> > for you to see that I've editted it.
> > You could merely import changes to TIGER - that would be part of being
> > "paranoid" - and that would address this situation.
>
> That's a really good, and really functional idea.
>
> We could create convert old TIGER->OSM and new TIGER->OSM.  Then, create
> a JOSM-style diff and apply it to the database.  If it applies cleanly,
> commit it.  Otherwise, throw it away and move on.
>
> -- Dave

I would suggest a little more than that.  The above eliminates what is
unchanged and need not be imported.  You will need to also diff the old
tiger with tiger tagged data in OSM.  Only what matches is ok to delete and
replace with the new import.

So you end up with:
Same in old and new tiger = don't import as it is un-improved
Not in old tiger = New data  import, but may already be mapped by hand
way names are in both, but do not match location = Improved data  Compare
old tiger with OSM tiger tagged data
   -If old tiger and OSM match unedited, replace with new
   -If the way was deleted or edited in OSM, discard the new tiger data in
favor of the had edited.

--
Dale Puch