[Talk-us] My shape file import steps so far

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:28:54 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Still to come is converting the WGS84 shape files into OSM format for
> conversion script I found to start with...
> http://raumplanung.tobwen.de/OSM/scripts/shp2osm_080814.pls
> command:  FOR /R .\ %G IN (*_out.shp) DO shp2osm.pl "%~dpnG" > "%~dpnG.osm"
> Tests work well, and basic streets should be east to import.  Tags need to
> be worked on though.  Like tiger (source:data_tag), and what tags should be
> imported?  Do nodes need to be tagges as they were for the tiger data?  How
> to pull attributes from other shp files and merge the data?  There are a few
> places I think this would be the right thing to do.  Such as street lights
> added to nodes, I saw some other data layers that might be of use in the
> same way if they can be combined.

I have a python script here:
http://svn.yellowbkpk.com/geo/trunk/shp_to_osm.py

It converts points, lines, and areas to OSM node/way XML, then applies the
shapefile's data as tag/value pairs. Once you have that OSM data, you can
use JOSM's search feature to do more work on applying OSM-centered tags.

At this point you still need to do the reprojection outside of the script.