[Talk-us] US GPS Set for Mapping Parties

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 00:00:56 BST 2008

> As someone said, it's possible that Garmin would consider OSM a potential competitor,

> however that's not certain and it does us no harm to try.

OSM would be a competitor to Navteq or Tele Atlas, I'd think - not Garmin.  Which makes me curious - Garmin may get a small profit for repackaging the Navteq data for their device.  If someone repackaged OSM data, could they build some sort of business model around that "repackaging" service - similar to the way Redhat makes money off Linux?

With Tom Tom owning Tele Atlas, and Nokia owning Navteq, I'd think it would be in Garmin's best interest in promoting potential alternatives.  OSM has a way to go to be in that position, but Garmin could easily be motivated to make some bet on it.