[Talk-us] NHD status?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Tue Sep 30 20:33:33 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 07:52:38AM -0500, Ian Dees wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM, David Carmean <dlc at halibut.com> wrote:
>

> > If I begin to manually import some NHD shapefiles for my area, will I be
> > wasting my time/others' time?  How is the bulk import work progressing?
> > How do you effect a "freeze" so we don't end up with duplicates?
>

> I think it might be a good idea to standardize on FCode -> tag mappings
> first. What are you using the import the data?
>
> Also, I've got a very robust SHP -> OSM (Now with Multipolygons!) converter
> written in Java coming soon. Currently it converts the geometries in the
> shapefile to OSM primitives and relations and applies the tags from the
> shapefile attributes. The OSM-specific tagging will have to be added with
> JOSM. I'm trying to think about a nice way to let the user apply OSM tags
> based on SHP attributes and the context that you're in (multipolygon inner,
> outer, linestring, etc.)
>
> Anyway, to answer your question, I think we first need to:
> 1) Standardize on FCode -> Tags
> 2) Keep track of which HUC codes are imported and by whom. (I can start
> working on this as a wiki page)

I'm still experimenting.  I've been looking at a commercial tool
(ExpertGPS) to convert shp to gpx, and then GPSBabel to convert to OSM
for use in JOSM.  I'm also using commercial GIS software (Manifold)
to work with the shapefiles at the beginning of the process.  I get the
advantage of being able to graphically select/edit features, but I don't
yet have any way to translate shapefile attributes to osm tags.

Should we start a new wiki page to document the NHD FCode <--> OSM Tag mapping?
I've just begun looking at the NHD technical instructions.

I think we might want to do some use-case analysis to help decide what to include
and exclude.