[Talk-us] "Historical" locations

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 17:27:43 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Russ Nelson <russ at cloudmade.com> wrote:
> > I'd prefer to see them left in, but with a :historic appended to the
> > name of the tags.  In some cases, there remains evidence of the
> > historical use, e.g. what was a schoolhouse is now a home.
>
> Certainly moving or cloning the Historic marker into the tags, the
> formal metadata, is better than it being only informal in the name.
>
> That would make them disappear from the common renderings, but would
> keep them in the database for use by a custom style or query?

It sure would be interesting to bring this to the attention of the entire
OSM community. Historical geo-data like this could be immensely useful for
someone doing historical analysis or even someone that was curious about
when their childhood street was paved over with that new Wal-Mart.

Perhaps we could have a key something like "time:start" and an optional
"time:end" that would allow people to query for data that is historical in
nature.

Adding the 4th dimension (time) to OSM...