[Talk-us] Interstate Highways Relations List

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 16:29:19 BST 2009

> I'm in danger of spending more time flaming than fixing the map, but
> have always been interested in the database schema aspect of OSM.
> Evolving tags is messier than a designed scheme, but I see the
> wisdom of
> how it avoids the wrong design persisting.  Still, I think it may make
> sense to try to design each microfeature.

  good catch. total chaos yet still very useful data and fun work

> The US highways in California are really (I think) regular US
> highways,
> but CA uses a different kind of sign.  So tagging then us_us_ca seems
> again like tagging for the renderer.  This is sort of OK, perhaps, but
> it bothers me perhaps because it's doing so in a denormalized way.
> Database users that care if something is a US highway will then have
> have a list of tags and check against that set.

many states had(have?) different signs. wikimedia has lots of examples.

> An alternative would be to have a shield hint tag, like
>
>  shield_flavor=us_ca

posted earlier. if someone is willing to write the rules for a
renderer perfect.
but shortterm it's easier to add a symbol ref like proposed here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging