[Talk-us] NHD Scripts

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 22:28:42 BST 2009

I agree with Ian on this.  Remember that there is no SET way to tag,
and the wiki is for guidance to keep everyone reasonably consistent.
My feeling is Tag as you feel is warranted.  Then at least add a page
to the wiki with the tags, and why you think they are needed with
examples of where you used it.  Also to the main tags page with a link
to your examples ect. in the discussion.

I think the only thing you want to avoid is tagging the same physical
features differently from pre-existing stuff in the DB without a
compelling reason.

Dale

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Theodore Book <tbook at libero.it> wrote:
>>
>> To be thorough, I think we would have to break it up.  For example, we
>> list a Canal/Ditch (33600) as waterway=canal, but the OSM tag is only
>> for use on ways, while the NHD applies it to areas.  At the same time,
>> the NHD point info gives dams as points, but the OSM waterway=dam is
>> only for lines and areas.
>
> The only reason the OSM tags are "for" certain things is because no one has
> gone in and changed the wiki page yet.
>
> In the examples you gave, I think it would make sense to change the OSM
> "definition" (as much as there is one) of the tags to mean what we want them
> to mean.

Dale Puch