[Talk-us] city polygons too large for potlatch to handle?

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 28 17:49:14 BST 2009

Rather than "blowing it away", perhaps there should be a tool to automatically cut and replace large polygons with multiple smaller polygons?  Perhaps someone could write a routine using GPC:  http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~toby/alan/software/ .  Years ago, when I worked at Etak, the internal format (mapengine) had a limit of 255 points per polygon; all software interfacing with it had to maintain this limit.  The limit doesn't have to be that low, but perhaps it should be low enough for Potlatch to handle anything.

Of course, the downside is that you can't assume that a polygon's border will the border of the administrative unit or physical feature represented.  (How is this handled for Oceans?)  The boundary polylines and polygons have to be distinct.

-Alan