[Talk-us] Mysterious 403s on TIGER place bulk uploads

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:21:48 BST 2009

Is there a good reason why my TIGER place bulk uploads keep getting
blocked with 403s?  I'll gladly add further backoffs and more reuse of
existing changesets (currently I've set the uploader to chunks of 250
elements and changesets of 20 uploads, essentially limiting each
changeset to 5000 elements, with a 15 second delay before retrying a
500 error and bailing after 3 consecutive 500s or any other error), or
even add a delay between each chunk if the server needs to
breathe/reduce contention, but it'd be nice if someone *told* me what
the problem was so I could fix it.

(BTW, my hacked-up uploader is at
http://www.lordsutch.com/osm/bulk_upload.py if anyone has any
questions about the code - it's based on the existing Python bulk
uploader but with some tweaks to make it more reliable.)

Chris