[Talk-us] talk-us-ma: Duplicate nodes in mass

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:18:33 BST 2009

welcome in the world of osm cleanup ;-)

there are so many errors in osm data for routing and some are very difficult
to find.
most people don't care as long as the maps is rendered nice. and without
tools it's hard to make mappers aware of them.
America doesn't have an instance of keepright either which can find many
problematic data
Also one guy wrote some scripts for checking see the recent message to talk
below
Didn't find the time yet to check these scripts and procedures a user posted
recently. . I know he has written many scripts to find duplicates and other
problems.

Hi,

I provide some error reports for OSM and wanted the errors to be corrected.
Of course I could handle some of them on my own. But since there were 10s of
thouands I surely wouldn't be able to inspect and correct them all.

So I thought why not set up a joint action of some sort? And so I did - not
knowing whether I would get help or not. But amazingly we had so many
volunteers who picked working packages that in a few days hundreds of erros
could be corrected. And since the edits were supposedly made with JOSM using
the validator plugin many other errors (beside the initially listed ones)
were corrected as well.

In the first action 1000 errors were closed in 5 days. The third action
(1000 dupe ways) I suppose will make it in under 24h! That's crazy!!!

So far we handled unconnected residentials in Bayern/Germany and dupe ways
also in Germany. For details please have a look at

- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Aktionen
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Aktion_01
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Aktionen/Aktion_03

Of course the pages are in German but look at the work tables and maybe the
error lists.

Maybe others could set up actions like these for other countries? I assure
you to provide reports if needed and I am quite confident that a lot of our
helpers would support these actions from here - if we get to know about the
actions...

Cheers

Gerhard
gary68