[Talk-us] [OSM-newbies] Multiple gmapsupp.img files on Garmin

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 03:49:49 BST 2009

I will have to try this with my 76csx

Does it have to be loaded as gmapsupp.img and used once before each
renaming?

I have been placing extra *.img in named subdirs and copying to Garmin/ to
select, but being able to switch without a usb connect would be much better,
since states in New England are so small, I can drive across a corner of  NH
or VT in not much longer than than it took to swap

Bill

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM, swanilli <swanilli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just accidentally discovered that it is possible to have
> multiple gmapsupp.img files on my Garmin Oregon 300. Since I have not
> seen this method mentioned anywhere else here it is.
>
> Problem: I regularly update my local OSM data (since I am in Australia
> from http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php) but I also have other
> maps, notably topographic, on the Garmin uit that I don't change. If I
> upload the combined gmapsupp.img using MapSource it takes forever.
> What would be nice would be to only upload the tiles that have changed
> but the conventional advice is that there can only be one gmapsupp.img
> file per drive i.e. one in the base unit and one on the micro SD card.
>
> Method:
>
> 1. Upload to Garmin unit the unchanging maps. This creates (or
> overwrites) a file called gmapsupp.img.
>
> 2. Disconnect the Garmin unit, switch on, then open and check the map
> uploaded.
>
> 3. Reconnect the Garmin unit to your computer and locate the
> gmapsupp.img just created.
>
> 4. Change the file name to anything else e.g. gmapsupp-topo.img.
>
> 5. Disconnect the unit and switch on again. The original maps will
> still be there.
>
> 6. Reconnect and upload a new set of maps. This will create a new
> gmapsupp.img file but not overwrite the first lot of maps.
>
> 7. Repeat the steps above, changing the file name each time.
>
> 8. To overwrite data, change the name of the file back to gmapsupp.img
> and upload new maps. (No sure if the file can't just be deleted but I
> have been getting the "The map set is approximately nnMB, but only
> nnnMB is available in the destination. Please select fewer maps and
> try again." message from MapSource.)
>

> There seems to be no limit to the number of files that can be handled
> in this way. I have 16 at present making it very quick to add or
> update existing data.

Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com