[Talk-us] Need help with SHP2OSM Rules file

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 04:44:53 BST 2009

I was working on those exact same files and accidentally released a version
of shp-to-osm that uses "contains" instead of "equals" for string
comparison. Download the 2nd-newest version of shp-to-osm and when your
rules.txt line looks for a certain key, it will pick it up if the shapefile
contains (instead of equals) your search string.

Forgive me if that doesn't make too much sense, I'm pretty tired.

Bottom line: try using the second-to-newest released .zip and you'll be able
to do something like this in the rules file:

outer,TRAIL_USE,B,foot,yes
outer,TRAIL_USE,C,horse,yes
outer,TRAIL_USE,H,snowshoe,yes

and (in your example), your .osm output should have all three tags on that
way.