[Talk-us] U.S. SOTM Call for Venue Bids

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:06:35 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Richard Shank <develop at zestic.com> wrote:
> I see from the notes that Charlotte suggested going into an area with an
> established community.  I would like to throw out the idea of the opposite
> approach.  It might help to jump start activity in an area that is currently
> inactive by having the SOTM there.

Richard,

There are two major reasons for this as an included criteria.

The first reason is that by having an area with an existing OSM
community, US SOTM will attract locals. An area without a mapping
community may have interested parties (as you mention) but it would be
difficult to spread the word effectively.

The other reason is connected with the organizing team. A local
community would make it easier to create/maintain an effective
organizing team on the ground who is able to both plan the conference
(selecting a venue, selecting accommodations, etc.) and also be able
to effectively run the conference.

Without locals, finding volunteers to do this would be difficult,
especially as this is the first US SOTM conference.

In the end, if you feel strongly about it, I'd put your reasoning into
your proposal.

- Serge