[Talk-us] Marking closed bridges

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Dec 4 03:55:18 GMT 2009

On 12/3/09 10:28 PM, Seth Fitzsimmons wrote:

>> for that matter, marking roads closed would be good as well. i know of
>> several examples of closed
>> roads and bridges in upstate NY that may or may not be reopened
>> depending on rehab/replacement,
>> etc.
>>
>> something as simple as closed=yes/closed=temporary/closed=indefinite
>> would seem to suffice.
>>
> The Crown Point bridge
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28436071) comes to mind; it's
> constructed of non-reinforced concrete and was essentially condemned
> recently with only a few hours notice
> (http://www.poststar.com/news/local/article_e77cd748-ba8b-11de-9ff0-001cc4c03286.html).

that was one of the ones i had in mind. there's also a closed highway
bridge over the
big rail yard in southern albany county that has the locals up in arms,
and a closed
street in downtown albany that may be reopened if the renovation of the
adjacent
courthouse is ever finished (i'm not holding my breath.)

> If you decide what an appropriate tag is, would you mind updating this
> at the same time?

i don't think i get to "decide" this.

i think that if no one has a standard answer here, i'll bring it up on
the tagging list.

richard