[Talk-us] HI: Hawaii GIS Data

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sat Dec 5 00:12:39 GMT 2009

Why oh why oh why do some people insist on wasting time trying to import loads of data?

Please take a read of
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/shine/archives/2009/11/10/the-pottery-club/

Please go out and map what's out on the ground, as usually imported data is of a rather low standard or the import isn't done right, and it's really, really hard to do an import correctly.

On 5 Dec 2009, at 00:00, Scott Atwood wrote:

> The Hawaii state government has a sizable repository of GIS data that could be useful to import into OSM:  http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/gis/.  I have contacted a manager in the GIS department by telephone and verified that this GIS data is in the public domain, and therefore available for import into OSM.
>
> Hawaii has pretty good road coverage from a import of 2007 TIGER data on O'ahu, and an ongoing import of 2009 TIGER data for the remaining islands, so the roads data provided by the GIS department probably doesn't need to be considered.    But there is a lot of other data available that isn't currently in OSM, such as:
>
>    * Streams, waterfalls, dams, and canals (Does the National Hydrography Dataset cover Hawaii?)
>    * Coral reefs
>    * Offshore islets
>    * Mile markers

Not so sure these belong in OSM.

>    * Trails
>    * Parks
>    * Schools

Um haven't these already been imported? Not just current ones, but historic ones too, and schools that opened 4 years ago aren't in there?

>    * Hotels
>    * Assorted administrative boundaries

You'll probably find that most of these are in there already.

>    * Land use categorization.
>    * etc.
>
> There has been relatively little mapping activity in Hawaii outside of O'ahu, so these data sets are unlikely to conflict with much existing work on the neighbor islands.  More careful consideration would have to be given for data imports for O'ahu.

Do some publicity, run some mapping parties. The reason OSM has worked in Germany is due to plenty of publicity.

Shaun