[Talk-us] Import of EPA data

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:17:58 GMT 2009

On 12/12/2009 13:12, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> I have create a wiki page to funnel the discussion.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/EPAGeospatial
>
> But personally, I am happy to see this data. Now I found a Asbestos
> Dump next to my old house in NJ!

I am not against putting the data inside OSM. I am just pointing out
that the import should have been announced and peer reviewed before
starting. It would have caught most of the issues that you are now
facing. There is an import mailing list, it would have helped.
It is so much more difficult to correct the data afterwards than before.
I don't know if it is a good example, but now in France any major
imports is sent to the mailing list for review, even bots work. It
allows to catch problems before they become an issue. Correcting the
data will now be painful between people correcting the data on their own
plus your own effort.
Do you have a page explaining which tag you use? what fields? etc....

Emilie Laffray