[Talk-us] [Imports] Import of Lakes from water.usgs.gov

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 16:25:34 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com <
jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
> <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> The current NHD either includes these updates or is higher quality than
> this
> >> historical stuff that the USGS has. I would recommend working on
> importing
> >> the NHD rather than other datasets.
> >
> > Any links? I have not seen that yet. This is pretty detailed, the data
> > that I found.
>
> I found something, will process it next.
> http://www.horizon-systems.com/nhdplus/extensions.php?filter=11

Please don't use this! Just go to nhd.usgs.gov and grab the official data
set and use the existing process to upload NHD in your area:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NHD

> I wonder if the older data has more types of data in it....

I looked at the data you previously pointed to and it looks to be old and of
low resolution. Also, it is comprised of landuse polygons which tend to be
lower resolution and a general approximation of what's on the ground rather
than a specific data set like NHD.