[Talk-us] [Imports] Import of Lakes from water.usgs.gov

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Dec 12 17:17:39 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
<jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I agree completely. What I did with my splitter script is to create
> one file per Item. Large lakes and things can be processed that way, I
> just sorted the resulting files and loaded the biggest one into josm.
> A splitting routine could be built to split the ways into 2000 node
> chunks and creating of relationships.

Hi Mike,

We're all enthusiastic when we find new data and want to contribute it.

Re: 2000-node-splitters for large object imports.

The French community found that splitting to 2000-nodes was damaging
to mappers wanting to improve the large object after the import.
Should they wish to improve one of these maximum-size ways they would
have to split them first.  The French community decided to limit ways
to 1000-nodes IIRC, so that follow-on mappers would be able to make
changes without necessarily having to split the object first.