[Talk-us] [Imports] Zipcode Import

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:46:30 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I don't know if your zip codes are used in the same fashion. If they
> are, and if you have reason to believe that potential errors can be
> fixed by people on the ground, then I'd say it makes sense to have them
> in OSM. If, on the other hand, your zip codes are not really used as a
> geo reference, or if you think it is unlikely that the data can be
> maintained by ordinary people, then I'd leave it out.

It would be appropriate to attach zip code as attributes to addresses.

Making the boundaries is the tricky part.  If we were to use polygons to
assign zip codes to the addresses, the census data is not good for that
purpose.

The best may be data from GIS departments in local governments.  It looks
like the DC government went to some lengths to get data from the USPS and
then do substantial verifications.

http://data.octo.dc.gov/Metadata.aspx?id=130

Still, I would be hesitant about having zip code polygons (as opposed to
address attributes) in OSM.

-Katie