[Talk-us] Boston Coastline leak? Re: Where next?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Feb 1 10:58:29 GMT 2009

On 31 Jan 2009, at 17:56, Bill Ricker wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Christopher Schmidt
>> <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
>>> just assumed it was a renderer problem instead of a data problem.
>>
>> looks like it's both ?-)
>>
>> can you or someone figure out what the fix is?
>
> seems to me that freshwater on the inland side of a dam with locks
> should not be natural=coastline, so i am adding waterway=dam,lock=yes
> to the Amelia Earhart Dam and converting the offending coastline
> polygons to waterway=riverbank. this may not fix watever the intrinsic
> problem is -     polygons seem rightway round, clockwise wet. I am
> unclear on how adjacent wet polygons should touch, maybe i should ask
> that on Newbies :-)

Coastlines, rivers and water are not really for newbies! There are a
lot of traps to fall into and just to help osmrender and mapnik render
things differently and have different time-delays until you can see
the results!

Adjacent polygons should share one edge, although that it not possible
with coastline which needs to be a single chain. I have sorted out
some joins between bits if river and between river and coastline.

I have sorted some broken coastline including one long section that
was the wrong way round to the north of Boston that wouldn't have
helped.

I have connected the coastline is a few places where it was broken by
bridges into two unconnected parts.

I have cleaned up some rivers and added a few new ones and added the
'mystic' lakes.

Do be aware that the coastline viewer is complaining at present about
a number of features are that probably ok because of the big error to
the north. I think we now need to wait for the coastline viewer to get
updated on monday at about 11:30UTC to see what else needs to be done.

I will have another go tomorrow.

Regards,

Peter Miller