[Talk-us] directions of ways in MassGIS data

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Feb 1 15:55:56 GMT 2009

Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> writes:

> MassGIS does not encode the direction. Oneways which are potentially
> wrong are marked with a FIXME note to fix the incorrect directionality.
> (I believe it is 'FIXME: Unconfirmed oneway'.) MassGIS pays NavTeq for
> routing data, and does not have a 'free' source of Oneway
> directionality.

OK, so it's either manual, or having something that looks at the db and
finds pairs of ways tagged as motorway/primary/secondary that go the
same way and are labeled FIXME and flips on of them, assuming they are
laid out normally, changes FIXME tag to auto-fixed, and then maybe
propagates this to ramps.  That sounds like a fair bit of work, maybe
more than hand editing them all.

> The classifications are based on the roads data, which is maintained by
> the executive office of transportation. I would assume that the
> classification is based on the legal classification of the road, rather
> than on usage.

OK, so it's then proper in osm terms to adjust it to the usage/physical
method?  Would you call 2 from alewife to 128 a motorway?  (I'm just
checking my understanding of the norms before making changes.)

(For those not in MA, here's an example interchange on this highway

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.42188&lon=-71.23007&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
)