[Talk-us] Boston Coastline leak? Re: Where next?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Feb 2 17:12:01 GMT 2009

On 31 Jan 2009, at 17:56, Bill Ricker wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Christopher Schmidt
>> <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
>>> just assumed it was a renderer problem instead of a data problem.
>>
>> looks like it's both ?-)
>>
>> can you or someone figure out what the fix is?
>
> seems to me that freshwater on the inland side of a dam with locks
> should not be natural=coastline, so i am adding waterway=dam,lock=yes
> to the Amelia Earhart Dam and converting the offending coastline
> polygons to waterway=riverbank. this may not fix watever the intrinsic
> problem is -     polygons seem rightway round, clockwise wet. I am
> unclear on how adjacent wet polygons should touch, maybe i should ask
> that on Newbies :-)

I have done some work on the coastline and rivers in and around Boston
and I think the coastline should be clear now. This should be
confirmed by tomorrows update of Coastline viewer and hopefully the
mapnik update thus week will be ok.

The bay in Boston is still not rendering properly yet. I am not sure
why yet but will keep plugging away it at.

There is some more 'grooming' needed of the coastline to get it to
follow reality a bit better, I have done the main bits but I am
probably done with that now.

Some of the rivers could also do with 'grooming' to get their edges to
match reality a bit better and some rivers still seem to  be missing
entirely, however, again I have done what I am going to do.

Have a great mapping weekend!

Peter