[Talk-us] Tiger Street Names and Copyright

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 18:48:44 GMT 2009

There have been successful lawsuits between map data companies over copied street names that were copytraps (or "copyright easter eggs").  Thomas Brothers sued Etak (now Tele Atlas) many years ago because some data collector copied from them directly.  It was some amount over $1 million - I really don't know how much - for a small area.

I've heard of some company which hand copies listings from multiple company's yellow pages to form their own directory by hand ... any listing has to appear in multiple locations.  I have no idea if that would count for map data.