[Talk-us] US Highway Classification (Was: directions of ways in MassGIS data)

David Lynch djlynch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:49:26 GMT 2009

What I've tended to do in my part of Texas is:

Motorway - two or more consecutive intersections with grade separation and
no driveways, or any interstate (some very rural locations do have the
occasional turn off directly from the main travel lanes)
Trunk - US highways without any other reason to classify them up or down and
high speed divided roads with relatively few crossings and an occasional
grade separation
Primary - State highways, US highways running near and parallel to a
motorway, and wide, heavily-traveled urban/suburban streets
Secondary - Other state highways (farm-to-market roads, loops, spurs) and
major city streets
Tertiary - Residential collector streets, some rural roads that are in good
condition and connect to classified highways, and service roads running
parallel to a motorway.